Follow the guide to Unlock Bootloader, Install TWRP and Root Xiaomi Mi A1 on Android Pie (9.0). The Mi A1 was the first Android One powered stock Android device by Xiaomi. The device already gets two major Android updates of Android Oreo and Android 9 Pie as well. The device is currently running on the latest Android Pie version along with updated security patch. But if you want to flash any custom ROM or any module on your device, you need to unlock the bootloader, install TWRP and Root Mi A1 on Android Pie.
Here in this guide, we will talk How to Install TWRP and Root Mi A1 on Android Pie step-by-step. But before doing that we need to unlock the device bootloader first. Let’s follow the process.
How to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi A1
Please Note: The Xiaomi Mi A1 (Android One) device doesn’t come with MIUI. So, the process of unlocking the bootloader may be different than the traditional MIUI skinned devices. You can’t unlock your Xiaomi Android One device bootloader with the MiFlash Unlock Tool.
There are so many issues and complications regarding unlocking the bootloader of any Android One running devices. So, maybe some of the users could find some issues during following the process.
Unlocking your device bootloader will factory reset your device data. So, it’s recommended to take a complete backup your phone data before doing anything. TheDroidTimes site will not be responsible for any damage or issue occurs to your device(s) while following this guide. Do it at your own risk.
- Download the Minimal ADB Fastboot Tool from here and extract it on your PC/Laptop.
- Backup your device at first.
- Keep your device battery juice at least up to 50%-70% for safety during TWRP and Root installation.
- Enable USB Debugging and OEM Unlock option from the Developer options.
- A USB cable to connect with computer.
Steps to Unlock Bootloader on Xiaomi Mi A1
- Connect your Mi A1 device with your PC via the USB cable.
- Go for cmd from the Windows PC search bar and open the Command Prompt from your installed ADB folder.
- Reboot your phone to the Fastboot mode by typing the following command and hit enter↵
adb reboot bootloader
- Now, check your device to grant permission for your PC.
- Your device will boot into Fastboot mode automatically. Now type the following line and press enter↵
fastboot flashing unlock
- You will be notified that you’re trying to unlock your device bootloader. Choose the option to bootloader unlock with your phone volume button > press the power button to confirm.
- The unlocking process will start automatically > wait for some time. Your device data will be erased.
- Now, reboot your device again into Fastboot mode in the same way.
- After rebooting it into Fastboot, type the following command and hit enter again↵
fastboot flashing unlock_critical
- You will get a warning notice again. Just follow the options and your device will restart again.
- Done. Your Mi A1 device bootloader is unlocked now.
- For the Android Pie version: twrp-3.2.3-1-tissot.img [image file]
- TWRP-Installer-3.2.1-Tissot-Manager-2.5.zip [installer file]
- Download the latest Magisk for Root: Magisk-v18.1.zip [Latest]
Steps to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A1
- Download all the three given files from the link for your Mi A1 at first.
- Connect your phone again to the PC and transfer all the files to the device internal storage. [Important]
- Now, boot your Xiaomi Mi A1 phone into Fastboot mode like earlier.
- Copy the TWRP recovery (.img) file to the computer drive folder where the ADB and Fastboot files have been installed.
- Now, press Shift key + right click to open the option in that folder (any blank area).
- Select Open PowerShell window here from the menu list. The PowerShell window will open now.
- Enter the following command and hit the enter button to check whether your device connected in fastboot mode or not.
- This will bring a fastboot device id. That means your device is connected in fastboot mode.
- Now, install the TWRP Custom Recovery on Xiaomi Mi A1 by using the following command and press enter↵
fastboot boot twrp-recovery-image.img
[Make sure to replace the red text with the original filename of the TWRP recovery image file]
- For the Android Pie version, you need to type the following command line and hit enter↵
fastboot boot twrp-3.2.3-1-tissot.img
- Your device should now boot into TWRP recovery mode automatically.
- Now, select the Install option from TWRP main menu. Find the downloaded TWRP installer zip file from the internal storage and select it.
- Swipe to confirm flash and wait for some time.
- Reboot your device. You’re done.
Once the TWRP installed on your device, you can now flash the magisk file via TWRP Recovery to enable the root access.
Steps to Root Xiaomi Mi A1
- Now, boot your Mi A1 into TWRP mode by switching off your device.
[Press and hold the Volume Up + Power button simultaneously to boot into TWRP mode]
- Go to Install option > search for the Magisk-v18.1.zip file which you have downloaded and copied to your internal storage of the device.
- Select the file and swipe to confirm the flash.
- After successful flashing, restart your phone.
You have successfully unlocked your device bootloader, installed TWRP and enabled Root access on your Xiaomi Mi A1.