Here in this guide, we will share the guide to Install TWRP Recovery and Root Xiaomi Mi 8. Xiaomi Mi 8 has got its TWRP recovery which means, the device can be rooted now. The device twrp codename is dipper and the maintainer name is Mauronofrio. Before going into the process, let’s take a look at the device specifications.
Xiaomi Mi 8 Specifications
The Xiaomi Mi 8 comes equipped with a large 6.21-inch Full HD+ AMOLED Display and comes with a wider notch. It’s powered by an octa-core 2.8GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 845 SoC coupled 6GB of RAM and 64GB/128GB of internal storage. The dual camera setup on the back is 12MP+12MP dual-Pixel autofocus sensor. It sports a 20MP selfie camera on the front with AI. It packs a 3,400 mAh battery with Quick Charge 4+ technology.
All the other major connectivity and sensors are available in this device. There is a Mi 8 Explorer Edition also available.
What is Rooting
Rooting an Android smartphone can be confusing for most people especially the ones who are trying it for the first time on their new devices. For instance, unmanaged root access might get you in a mess as it can allow apps/services to perform actions on your device. The permissions can easily be leveraged to steal personal information or to inject malware in your device. However, this will never be the case when you install SuperSu zip on your Android device and use it for efficient and effective management of root permissions.
By rooting your device you can get superuser access or admin access over your device system. So that you can easily customize or tweak your device configuration and system settings according to your preferences.
Advantages of Rooting Xiaomi Mi 8
- You can remove unwanted ads that appear on your phone screen.
- You can uninstall bloatware (preloaded apps)
- Can flash Custom ROMs, Kernels, Recovery files and mods
- You can take a complete backup of your device system via TWRP
- You can install moded applications which require root access
Disadvantages of Rooting Xiaomi Mi 8
- Rooting your phone can void your device warranty mostly
- Without performing the step-by-step process you may brick your device
- Your device Android security could break easily
- Some applications may stop working normally
TheDroidTimes site will not be responsible for any damage happened to your device(s) while following this guide, do at your own risk. It’s highly recommended to take a complete backup before doing anything.
- This Update is only for Xiaomi Mi 8
- We recommend to take complete backup and proceed.
- Enable Developer Options and USB Debugging On your device
- Maintain 50-60% battery to prevent sudden shutdown between of the process.
Unlock Xiaomi Mi 8 Bootloader
- First, you need to enable the Developer Options, USB Debugging and OEM Unlock from here.
- Now, go to device Settings > then Mi account > Mi Cloud > Enable Syn and Find Device
- Now, log in to Mi Cloud Server from your computer to check whether your device is synced or not. If other devices synced with your mi cloud, remove them first and try again.
- Download Mi Unlock tool. Once you download the file, extract the MiFlashTool file and open MiFlashUnlock.
- A new disclaimer page will appear, read it and click on Agree button.
- Now, you have to Log in with your MI Account. If you don’t have an account then sign up.
- Now, boot your Mi 8 to Fastboot/Bootloader mode and connect it to your PC via provided USB and your device will be connected.
- Click on Unlock. Give all permissions. It will start the unlocking process automatically.
- Once the process is completed, reboot your device. Your device bootloader should be unlocked. You can check the bootloader lock status from the settings.
Guide to Install TWRP Recovery on Xiaomi Mi 8
ADB and fastboot should be installed on your computer while following the bootloader unlocking guide. Now, follow the below guide to install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8.
- Download Xiaomi Mi 8 TWRP image.
- Now Open the folder where the TWRP (.img) file is downloaded.
- Open the command window mode from the downloaded image folder.
- Now, connect your Xiaomi Mi 8 device to the computer a USB cable and type the following command then enter↵
adb reboot bootloader
- Your device should boot into the bootloader mode. Now, type the following command to flash the recovery and press enter↵
fastboot flash recovery twrp.img
[replace the red text with the downloaded twrp image name]
- Now reboot your Xiaomi Mi 8 by typing the following command and hit enter↵
You have successfully installed TWRP Recovery on your Xiaomi Mi 8.
Guide to Root Xiaomi Mi 8
You can check the full step-by-step guide about how to root any Android device easily after installing TWRP Recovery. Check the following link: