If you are an advanced Android user, you may definitely know about Custom Recovery, Root access, mods, Xposed modules, Magisk, and more. While if you have unlocked your device bootloader then you can easily install any Custom Recovery file like TWRP on your Android device. The TWRP Custom Recovery give you access to flash compressed files like Stock ROM(s), Custom ROMs, SuperSU, Magisk modules easily and safely. Here in this brief guide, we will discuss How To Install TWRP and Root OnePlus 6T handset.
How To Install TWRP and Root OnePlus 6T
All the Android devices do come with default stock recovery which features a few minimal options. But the TWRP Recovery brings so many advanced settings and features to customize and flash your preferred files easier than ever. You can also take full device data backup with system data as well which is a great thing. Once you’ve installed the TWRP Recovery on your OnePlus 6T device, you can easily enable root access.
- Windows, Mac, or Linux PC/Laptop
- Google Platform-Tools
- We recommend taking a complete backup before doing anything [Unlocking the bootloader will factory reset your device]
- The USB Data Cable of your device
- Enable Developer options and USB Debugging on your device
- Should maintain 50-60% battery at least to prevent sudden shutdown during the process
- The guide is for OnePlus 6T device only
Please Note: Unlocking the bootloader may not void your OnePlus device warranty. Still, you should know what you’re doing. TheDroidTimes site won’t be responsible for any type of error or damage occurs to your device during following the process. Do it at your own risk.
Unlock OnePlus 6T Bootloader
In order to start the installing TWRP or Root, you need to unlock your device bootloader first. This will allow you to flash any custom files like firmware or any unofficial files on your device.
- Enable USB Debugging from Developer options as mentioned earlier.
- Now, enable OEM Unlocking from the same list as well.
- Then scroll down a bit and turn on the Advanced Reboot option also for your ease.
- Now, press and hold the power button to bring the advanced reboot option and tap on ‘Bootloader’. Your device will automatically boot into the bootloader menu.
Install Fastboot and ADB on Computer
- Install Fastboot and ADB tool on your computer (Windows).
- If you’re using Mac/Linux PC/Laptop then you need to download the tool from here.
- After installing the Fastboot and adb on your computer, go to the installed adb folder and open the cmd.
- Connect your device with your PC via the USB cable.
- Type the following command line and hit enter to check your device connectivity↵
- If the fastboot device show in the list, type the next command and hit enter again to enable bootloader↵
fastboot oem unlock
- Now, your device screen will appear a new prompt which will ask you to confirm Unlock The Bootloader option. [select the option by pressing volume up/down button and confirm by pressing power button]
- Finally, your phone will reboot automatically and it will wipe all of your device data completely.
- That’s it. You have successfully unlocked your device bootloader.
Install TWRP on OnePlus 6T
- Now, download the official TWRP 126.96.36.199 (.img) file for OnePlus 6T. [Rename the file to twrp.img only]
- Download SuperSU.zip-v2.82 file also to install root
- After downloading and renaming the file on your PC, copy both the files into your device internal/external storage.
- Enable Advanced Reboot option, OEM Unlocking, USB Debugging again as the device has been factory reset.
- Go to again Bootloader reboot mode from advanced reboot like before.
- Now, again open the Fastboot cmd from your installed adb folder via PC and check the device connection again.
- If your device successfully connected in fastboot mode, then copy both the TWRP files into the adb folder normally.
- Now, install the TWRP.img file on your device by typing the command below and press enter↵
fastboot boot twrp.img
- This will boot your device into TWRP Custom Recovery mode easily. [You can also sideload your TWRP Recovery on your device for permanently]
Root OnePlus 6T
- After booted into TWRP Recovery, go to Install option and select the downloaded SuperSU (.zip) file from the storage and swipe to confirm the flash. [You can also go through the full detailed process of rooting from here]
- Now, reboot your OnePlus 6T device and you’re done!
- Enjoy 😀